Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Solution? (knock on wood)


Ladies and gentlemen, we have sleep.

The other night I got the novel idea to rock the baby to make him sleepy. He's had a love/hate relationship with the rocker. When he was really little, he liked it. It would never put him all the way to sleep, but it calmed him down. Then he got a little older and would not have it. He'd be like, bitch why we rockin'?? And he'd try to climb over me and onto the floor. So we abandoned the rocker for awhile. But you never know with stuff like that, so I tried it again, and lo and behold, he got sleepy!

The trick is to hold him in my lap facing outward and let him look around. If you cradle him in your arms, he knows you're trying to get him to sleep, so he squirms and fights and screams. But facing outward kind of tricks him. He's all, ok, I'm just looking...around...eyelids...droopy...hmm...zzzzzz...

So when he fell asleep in my arms the other night, I started having all these fantasies of putting him in his own bed. He must be ready! I thought. That's why I'm having such a hard time getting him to sleep in our bed! He wants to be on his own. Visions of cuddling with the husband and rolling around the bed with aplomb danced through my head. So I slooowly got up, walked towards the crib, gently set him down...

WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Ok, maybe not so ready yet. However, the rocking thing is a nice addition to the bedtime routine, because it makes him almost ready to sleep. Then we go to our bed and he's out pretty quickly.

Next stop, Ferberizing (yeah right, like I have the balls for that).

2 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Blogger braiding mommy said...

Love this picture - so adorable!

The rocker worked for Lydia for a while - like you said - with her face out until she fell asleep.

We've been throuhg so many different methods...

 
At 5:43 AM, Anonymous Jenny said...

So gorgeous!

Makes me want to nap.

I could never do the ferber either when Hailey was little. Just didn't feel right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home