Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Well I guess this is growing up

Yesterday I went to lunch with an old friend of mine from high school. We've actually known each other since we were about 12, but I lost touch with her over the last few years. She did come to my baby shower, but this is the first time I've seen her since then. She just graduated and is working at the local NBC affiliate. She mentioned another friend of ours who also just graduated and is going into advertising PR. It's totally weird that my high school friends have graduated from college and are getting jobs straight out of a chick lit novel. I still need one more class to be a junior. I don't really have issues with that, beyond that since I took off last semester I feel like I'm getting stupider (see, I don't think stupider is even a word, further proof I'm becoming that), but I'm going back in the fall and I'll just keep doing it until I graduate. Plus, I'm not really worried about my career, because I have the perfect job other than the fact that I work with extreme dorks. Who are related to me. I work with my extremely dorky family. Ok, maybe I could use a career boost.

Anyway, this was going somewhere.

Oh, right.

It was mostly weird to reconnect with my friend yesterday because when I went off to college for the first time, I completely severed ties with my old friends. They weren't cool enough, didn't know people cool enough, didn't party enough, weren't fun enough. I replaced all my old friends with newer cooler ones. I wasn't ever planning on moving back to my hometown anyway, so I was just completely clean slating it. Then, I freaked out and DID move back to my hometown, therefore severing all ties with the newer cooler friends, and I'm back reconnecting with the original ones. But it's also only now that they've graduated that they really care about hanging out with me again too. I think a lot of them did the "better cooler friends" thing too to some extent.

Was there a point to this?

Oh yeah.

Growing up. Sometimes it hits me right between the eyes that, hey, WOW, I'm actually growing up. Sitting across the table from my old friend at lunch, it definitely hit me. Maybe because I hadn't seen her in so long. But it made me remember how we used to ride the bus when we were in 6th grade, and talk about boys and life and what we were going to be when we grew up. And, all of a sudden, we did grow up. It's hard to remember the line between waiting to grow up and actually doing it, but one day you realize you passed that line long ago. It's not a bad thing, not a sad thing, just something I didn't think too much about until yesterday.

On the vaccination front: The baby went to his 6 month checkup yesterday and got the same shots he'd gotten so far, the DTaP etc., and the new ones that protect against meningitis. We told the doctor we didn't want him getting the chicken pox shot, but they don't do that until age 1. We also said we didn't want the hep B, and he said that it probably wasn't necessary to do it right now, but we should eventually, because you never know when your kid is going to need a blood transfusion in a third world country. Point taken. Consider this kid's father, and there is no doubt in my mind that the baby might end up in a third world country with a serious injury at some point in his life. But the Dr. also said the main vaccines people worry about are the MMR, measles mumps rubella, so that's the next point of study. When I get around to it. Hopefully I will sometime. Because I'm tired of writing all this vaccine stuff, it really burned me out. But, I will be researching the MMR, so you get to know about it too.

1 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home